Frequently Asked Questions

How often do you receive vacancies?

The rate at which we receive vacancies is highly variable, but as all of our tenants are required to give the standard 60 days’ notice of their intention to vacate we would recommend that you call at least two months prior to your intended move-in date.

Do you require a deposit?

Yes, we require first and last months' rent paid in full for all of our Residential and Commercial rentals. Your last month’s rent deposit will be held until you gives notice to vacate and then it will be applied to your last month’s rent.

I’ve ran into financial difficulties, can I use my last month’s rent to use towards another month’s rent?

Unfortunately, no. The last month’s rent is only able to be used once the tenant has given proper notice of their intended departure, at that time the deposit will be applied to the last month’s rental payment.

When is rent due?

Rent is due in full on the first of every month. You may submit post-dated cheques, or visit our head office at 147 Wyndham Street North, Suite 401 to pay in cheque, cash, debit, credit card, or certified cheque/money order.  We also have a drop box next to the office door for after-hours payments.  Late payments are in violation of the residential lease and can be grounds for eviction.

How do I apply for an apartment or commercial unit?

We meet all prospective tenants before offering an application so please call the office at 519-821-4610 to book a showing of your desired space.

Do you allow pets?

Legally landlords must allow pets, but if pets causes damage or their noise or smell disturbs neighbours it could be cause for eviction. Many of our units would not be suitable for large animals as they do not have a fenced backyard and we insist that all pets are kept in a safe and humane setting so that they do not become anxious, irritable, or vocal.  We require that tenants state if they do own a pet on the application and pets must abide by municipal and provincial bylaws and laws regarding type of animal, number of animals in the unit, etc.

How much do utilities run per month on your units?

Since we own and operate many buildings, it is difficult to give an estimate on utilities. Many of our units are all-inclusive which means the landlord pays for your heat, hydro and water. If the unit is not-inclusive, tenants are welcome to call either Guelph Hydro (519-822-3010) or Union Gas (1-888-774-3111) to obtain a general estimate on the utility costs; however it is at the discretion of the utility companies to release this information.

Can I sublet my unit?

The Landlord may allow a tenant to sublet their unit depending on the circumstances. If a month-to-month tenant is in good standing and they are moving away from Guelph for a short period of time, the Landlord will often allow them to sublet their unit until they move back to the city. If a month-to-month tenant is moving away permanently the Landlord will not permit them to sublet their unit and they must give their notice to vacate. If a tenant is still on their initial one-year lease the Landlord will allow them to sublet to the end of their lease, but may require notice to vacate at the end of their lease if they do not intend to return to their unit. Lastly, a tenant may sublet out rooms in their unit if the total number of people in the unit follows the overcrowding bylaws of the City of Guelph and the overcrowding laws of Ontario.

The Landlord may restrict the amount of money a tenant can collect from a sublettor and tenants remain responsible for the payment of all rent and for the conduct of the person(s) to whom they sublet the apartment.

I signed a lease but something came up and I need to leave early. Can I break my lease?

All of our leases are a minimum of 1 year.  Signing a lease is a legally bound agreement. Tenants are responsible for the unit until the lease has ended. However, tenants may find a suitable subletter (who will be pre-approved by the landlord) to take over the remainder of the lease.

I have maintenance concerns regarding my unit, who do I contact?

Please contact the office at 519-821-4610 between the hours of 9am-5pm, or if you have an emergency after-hours please call the office and follow the prompts to our emergency dispatch service. Please note the dispatch service can only help in emergencies so if your issue is non-emergent they will direct you to call back during office hours.